5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
If you are aiming to become an HR Generalist, you first need to know who is an HR Generalist and what are the roles and responsibilities. How MBA course will help you and which skills will help you in future? An HR generalist is essential to managing daily HR operations, assisting staff members and managers, ensuring adherence to HR rules and legal obligations, and fostering a supportive and effective workplace environment. They need a wide range of qualities, including expertise in human resources, communication skills, problem-solving skills, and a dedication to lifelong learning. Here is a complete guide to becoming an HR Generalist.
Who is an HR Generalist?
A practitioner that oversees a variety of human resources tasks inside an organisation is known as an HR Generalist. They are essential in overseeing daily HR operations and offering assistance in a number of HR-related fields.
An HR generalist's main duty is to make sure that the company's HR policies, practices, and processes are carried out efficiently. They oversee a wide range of HR tasks, such as hiring and selection, onboarding new employees, performance management, employee relations, administration of salary and benefits, employee training and development, compliance with HR laws, and employee engagement programmes.
Skills Required to be an HR Generalist
Gaining a thorough understanding of marketing techniques, consumer behaviour, market research, branding, advertising, and sales is the main goal of an MBA in marketing. Students gain knowledge of how to evaluate market trends, pinpoint target markets, design successful marketing campaigns, and formulate promotional plans.
To succeed, HR generalists will need to apply the abilities they've developed via their training and experience. Companies seek candidates with the following qualifications to work in their HR departments:
- Strong oral and written communication abilities: These are required skills as HR generalists have to explain the job requirements to applicants. To assess if individuals are qualified for the positions, they also require excellent listening skills. They can also compose efficient business emails and letters with the aid of strong writing abilities.
- Interpersonal skills: Successful HR generalists possess interpersonal skills and are approachable. They should make an effort to make everyone around them feel at ease and happy.
- Organisation: HR generalists work with existing and potential new employees' records. To manage so many pieces of information, one needs to have excellent organisational abilities.
- Strong decision-making: HR generalists frequently have to decide which applicants are best for a position, how to handle employee conflicts, and how to effectively onboard new hires.
- Discretion: HR generalists have access to private data on employees, such as their pay, contact information, and work history. These specifics are kept private at their discretion.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills: These are essential for HR generalists because they frequently deal with complex challenges. They should be able to assess circumstances, find potential solutions, and reach wise judgements after careful consideration. Effectively handling HR difficulties requires a proactive and solution-focused approach.
- Ethics and Confidentiality: HR generalists must uphold a high standard of professionalism and confidentiality when handling sensitive employee information. They should uphold ethical standards, safeguard employee privacy, and make sure that HR procedures comply with applicable laws and moral principles.
- Flexibility: An HR Generalist should be versatile and agile in embracing changes because the HR landscape is continuously changing. They should be receptive to emerging HR trends and technology and willing to modify HR procedures and standards to suit changing business requirements.
Roles and Responsibilities of an HR Generalist
If you want to ace the role of an HR Generalist, you need to be thorough with the roles and responsibilities. There is a set of roles and responsibilities of an HR Generalist that you need to remember:
- Performance Management
- Recruitment and Selection
- Employee Onboarding and Offboarding
- Compensation and Benefits Administration
- HR Policies and Procedures
- Recordkeeping and Administration
- Training and Development
- HR Projects and Initiatives
- Employee Engagement and Culture
MBA in HR Course Highlight
MBA in Human Resource Management
MBA in HR Duration
MBA in HR Course Level
Average Fees for MBA in HR
₹ 5-20 lakh
Eligibility for MBA in HR
Graduation + MBA Entrance Exam Score
HR Generalist, Human Resource Analyst, Human Resource Manager, Senior HR Manager etc.
TCS, Wipro, Samsung, Nokia, Reliance, Deloitte etc.
₹ 4-8 LPA
Become an HR Generalist
As you want to become an HR Generalist, here are some of the requirements that will help you in becoming a successful HR Generalist. Candidates, let’s have a look at the following:
- You should have a bachelor’s degree in BBA in Human Resource Management.
- Earn a master’s degree in MBA in HR Management or as an MBA Generalist.
- Update your resume.
- Gain work experience in a Human Resource role starting as an intern.
- Apply for the HR Generalist role once you gain knowledge.
If you are aiming to get into a Human Resource role, you need to apply for MBA in Human Resource Management. You can apply for this course with Sunstone and take the first step towards a successful career. You get 70+ training and development sessions from top recruiters and industry experts and you learn from expert guest faculty who are ex-IIMs and IITs. You get a capstone project to work on every semester and Sunstone also helps you to build a professional portfolio that improves your chances of getting hired. 50+ job interviews are aligned with Placement Protection Plan and if you appear in the Sunstone scholarship test, you can get a scholarship worth up to ₹ 10 Crore.
FAQs - Become an HR Generalist
What is the average salary of an HR Generalist?
The average salary of an HR Generalist is ₹ 4,80,000.
What is the eligibility criteria for an MBA in HR?
The eligibility criteria remain the same for the MBA Program. You need
- 50% marks in graduation from a recognised university.
- A valid score in MBA Entrance Exam.
- You need to crack the written ability test/ personal interview round/ group discussion round.
Is MBA in HR easy or tough?
MBA in HR is considered easy than other MBA specialisations.
Is HR Generalist a good career?
As Human Resource is needed in every organisation, an HR Generalist have high job security.