5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
B.Sc or Bachelor in Science is one of the most popular undergraduate courses students opt for after 12th. It is eligible for students who have pursued science stream, i.e., subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, and Biology along with Mathematics in Class 11 and 12.
The course spans over three years and is offered by plenty of colleges across the country. Based on their personal preference, students can apply for B.Sc in both part-time and full-time modes. The admission process also differs based on the college and the type of course. For instance, some universities consider entrance exam scores for B.Sc admission while others offer admission on a merit basis.
It is also important to note that there are also B.Sc specialisations that are offered by top colleges. For instance, students often opt for B.Sc in Chemistry or Physics. Similarly, there are special B.Sc courses in Agriculture, Nursing, Biology, Biotechnology, Computer Science, etc., You can select any of the specific subjects and pursue a career in that field.
If you or someone you know has been planning to pursue B.Sc and wishes to know everything about it – from the B.Sc admission process to the colleges and counselling – you have reached the right place. This article is the perfect guide for you. Keep reading to know it all.
Top Colleges offering B.Sc Courses
Since B.Sc is quite popular, it is being offered by plenty of colleges and universities. The majority of colleges also conduct entrance exams for B.Sc admission such as NPAT, BHU, JET, etc. Other than that, there are still colleges that offer direct admission in B.Sc based on merit.
Below are some of the top colleges along with eligibility criteria and the application deadline for the 2022 session.
|College/University Name||Exam Score Accepted||Eligibility Criteria||Application Deadline*|
|University of Madras||Merit-Based||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from the Science stream from a recognised board||June 2022|
|Delhi University||Merit-Based||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from Science stream from a recognised boardMerit based on the cut-off list.||June 2022|
|Chandigarh University||CUCET||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from Science stream from a recognised boardMerit based on the performance in CUCET||April 2022|
|Amity University||Merit Based||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from Science stream from a recognised board||NA|
|St. Xaviers College, Mumbai||University Exam||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from Science stream from a recognised boardMerit based on the performance in university exam||NA|
|PSG College of Arts And Science||Merit Based||Candidates must have passed Class 12 from Science stream from a recognised board||NA|
Note that the application deadlines are tentative and can change due to the covid-19 pandemic. Refer to the official website for updates.
B.Sc: Admission Process
The admission process for B.Sc varies from college to college. It can be either based on merit or the score in the entrance exam or both. The basic admission process follows the below-listed process:
- Select the course you wish to pursue and the college you want to apply to.
- Apply for the entrance exam if there is any or just submit an application to the college for merit-based admission
- In case, you have an entrance exam, you will also have to go through group discussion and PI rounds after clearing it
- If you get selected, you can get admission by going through the counseling process in which you have to submit the necessary documents such as ID proof, education certificates, photographs, etc.,
To get the specific information, it is best to visit the official website of the colleges or the universities you wish to take admission in and read the brochure carefully. For instance, if someone wants to take to enrol for Sunstone’s edge, it is best to check their website or contact them via mail or call. Students can also visit the campus to get admission forms if they don’t prefer online admissions.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Sc
Just like the admission process, eligibility criteria is also different for different universities or colleges. However, the basic minimum requirements remain the same. These include:
- The candidate must have at least 50-60% marks in the Class 12 examination from a recognized board.
- The candidate must have studied subjects such as Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and/or Biology and the higher secondary level.
- The candidate must be at least 18 years old.
Documents Required for B.Sc Registration
Candidates who are planning to get admission in B.Sc need to have some of the documents. These include:
- Class 10 Marksheet or Certificate
- Class 12 Marksheet or Certificate
- Transfer Certificate
- Caste Certificate (If Applicable & Required)
- Income Certificate (If Applicable & Required)
- Domicile Certificate
- Entrance Exam Scorecard
The students will need to carry the photocopy and original documents at the time of admission.
B.Sc: Entrance Exams
As mentioned before, there are some colleges whose B.Sc admission process requires students to take entrance exams that can be both national or state-based. Below, we have jotted down some of the most popular entrance exams you can try:
- NPAT: Also known as the National Test for Programs After Twelfth, NPAT is conducted by Narsee Monjee Institute for Management Studies (NMIMS), Mumbai to admit students for BBA/B.Sc. It will be conducted online and it is a national-level entrance exam.
- CU-CET: Also known as the Central Universities Common Entrance Test, this is an all-India test that is organised for various Integrated/Under-Graduate, Post Graduate, and Research Programmes in several Central Universities and State Universities of India. It is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) to give a common window to the students seeking admission in various programmes in Central universities. Some of the participating universities are Assam University, Central University of Gujarat, Central University of Haryana, Central University of Kerala, Central University of Rajasthan, etc.,
- BHU UET: This is a special entrance exam that is also known as the Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test. It is done for admission in UG courses like B.Sc (Hons), BA (Hons), BA LLB (Hons), LLB (Hons), BCom (Hons), B.Ed, etc.
- SUAT: Sharda University Admission Test or the SUAT is one of the first entrance tests by a private college. It has a different set of papers for different disciplines, including B.Sc.
B.Sc Entrance Exam Schedule
While the exam dates can vary, given the COVID-19 situation in India, all the major colleges and organisations have released tentative schedules for exams. Some of them are listed below:
|Entrance Exams||Registration||Exam Dates|
|NPAT||23 Dec 2021–5 Jun 2022||1 Apr–10 Jun 2022|
|CU-CET||April 2022||May 2022|
|BHU UET||July-August 2022||September 2022|
|SUAT||July 2022||August 2022|
B.Sc Entrance Exam Syllabus
There are a number of subjects under a B.Sc degree programme and therefore the syllabus of the entrance exam will depend on those subjects. Since B.Sc includes subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, you ought to clear your basics in each of these. The general syllabus comes from the topics that are listed below:
- General Awareness
- Mental Ability
- Comprehensive Ability
- English Communication
- General Aptitude
Preparation Tips for B.Sc Entrance Exams
Acing an entrance exam is no less than a feat as it requires a lot of practice and hard work. Along with that, students should also keep a few preparation tips in mind that can help them in doing their best in the examination. Here are some of the tried-and-tested tips to prepare for B.Sc entrance exams:
- Create a Study Plan: Having a plan helps in better execution of the preparation. This way you can also give sufficient time to each topic without the fear of skipping any particular one.
- Know Your Best and Worst Parts: Knowing strengths and weaknesses in the beginning helps in getting an idea of which areas need more practice. For instance, if your concepts in Physics are not clear, you can dedicate specific time to sail through it.
- Get The Sample Papers: Gather previous year question papers and samples available through the internet and solve them at least two times. Many times, the questions get repeated. This also gives you a chance to calculate how much time you take to solve one question and then focus on increasing your speed.
- Read Questions Carefully: This may not be a preparation tip but paying full attention to what’s written in the question paper can save you from making silly mistakes. So, take your time and read the questions properly before answering.
- Use Cheat-Sheets To Revise Formulae: Formulae can be tough to remember but they play a crucial role, especially when you have to solve questions from Mathematics and Physics. So, create a cheat sheet and get it printed for regular revisions.
- Stay Physically and Mentally Healthy: Exam times can be quite stressful and this can impact your health. Thus, it is very important to keep your health in check during entrance exams. Try to exercise regularly and practise meditation so that your body and mind are alert and fresh when you take the exam.
B.Sc Admission Counselling Process
B.Sc counselling is done once the students are finally shortlisted based on their merit and entrance exam results. The counselling round is basically when the university or college verifies the documents that are submitted for admission. These documents include a passport-sized photograph, exam certificates, ID proof such as Aadhar card, few declarations, exam certificates, etc.
FAQs on Bsc Admission
What is the admission process for Bsc?
What is the eligibility criteria for Bsc?
What are the documents required for Bsc?
Class 10 Marksheet or Certificate
Class 12 Marksheet or Certificate
Caste Certificate (If Applicable & Required)
Income Certificate (If Applicable & Required)
Entrance Exam Scorecard
What is the minimum percentage of marks required for the BSc admission 2022?
What are the different entrance exams for Bsc?