5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Proficiency in the C programming language holds great value in today’s world. C language is widely regarded as the foundation for many modern programming languages and opens the door to exciting career opportunities after a B.Tech course in Computer Science.
Technical interviews are one of the many interviews that a student has to go through to secure a desired position in top-tier companies and organisations. These interviews aim to evaluate a candidate's knowledge, problem-solving skills, and ability to apply programming concepts in real-world scenarios. Furthermore, when it comes to C programming, interviewers frequently ask questions in depth related to the language, testing candidates on their command of its fundamental concepts and best practices.
What is C Programming Language?
- C language is one of the high-level programming languages that create the basis for many other programming languages such as C++, JAVA, and OOPs.
- C is a procedural language, which means that programs are composed of functions or procedures that perform specific tasks.
- C programming language is the first programming language taught to first-year students of B.Tech in CSE.
- C language has functions and procedures to perform specific tasks. This increases the code's efficiency while also providing its simplicity.
- Over the years, C has become the language of choice for many software developers, and it has been used to build a wide range of applications, including operating systems, compilers, databases, game engines, and much more.
Common Interview Questions for C Programming Language
Given below are some of the interview questions for C programming divided into three categories: Easy, Intermediate, and Tough. This will give an idea of what kind of questions are generally asked during interviews.
Easy C Programming interview questions
- Do you know about the features of the C programming language?
- Why is C called a mid-level programming language?
- What is the #line used for in C programming language?
- Difference between printf() and scanf() functions.
- Describe the built-in function in C
- How can a string be converted to a number?
- Why doesn’t C language support function overloading?
- What is a pointer in C language?
Intermediate C Programming interview questions
- What is the difference I-value and R-value?
- What do you understand by header files?
- How can you avoid memory leaks?
- What is the difference between C and C++ programming languages?
- Explain the concept of recursion.
- What is the use of ‘static’ keyword in C language?
- What is the use of ‘volatile’ keyword in C language?
- How can you sort an array in C language?
Tough C Programming interview questions
- How can you implement a function in C to reverse a linked list?
- How can you remove duplicates in an array?
- How to call a function before main()?
- Implement a merge sort algorithm in C without using recursion.
- Why header files are needed in the C programming language?
- What do you understand by dynamic data structure?
- How can you merge two sorted linked list?
- What do you understand by function pointers as arguments in C?
Tips to prepare for C Programming Interview
- Go through the core concepts of C programming language and have a solid understanding of the topics, including variables, data types, control structures (if-else, loops), functions, arrays, pointers, and structures.
- Solve coding exercises and practice problems using online platforms such as online c compiler to enhance your programming skills. Focus on implementing algorithms and data structures using C.
- Familiarise yourself with commonly asked C programming interview questions on the major topics.
- Gain a thorough understanding of memory management in C and prepare topics to demonstrate your knowledge during the interview.
- Practice solving coding challenges and puzzles specific to C programming to improve your problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and ability to write clean and optimised code.
- Simulate interview scenarios by participating in mock interviews or coding sessions with a friend or mentor.
- Stay updated with the latest developments and trends in C programming, to stay ahead during group discussions and personal interviews.
Mastering C programming language is important for students who are aspiring to become successful engineers. By familiarising yourself with the top interview questions for C programming, you can gain a competitive edge and increase your chances of success in job interviews.
At Sunstone, you can get the chance to unlock numerous benefits which include 70+ training sessions from expert guest faculty (ex-IIMs, IITs). Along with this, students can get hands-on experience from capstone projects, which can be helpful in securing job offers.
FAQ-Top Interview Questions for C Programming
Can I use C for coding interviews?
Yes, many companies allow you to use C programming language for technical interviews.
Is C programming language hard to study?
No programming language is easy to learn at first, but with continuous practice, you can gain expertise in the same.
Is C programming an important language in programming?
Among many, it is also one of the important languages in programming. C language is an easy, portable, and efficient programming language.
What is the first programming language I will learn during my B.Tech in CSE course?
In the first semester of B.Tech CSE, students begin to build their basics with C programming language, followed by C++, JAVA, and Python in later semesters.
Can I do B.Tech in CSE from colleges powered by Sunstone?
Yes, you can pursue B.Tech in CSE from colleges powered by Sunstone. Some of the colleges are:
- Sage University, Indore
- IIMT University
- GRD Institue to Technology and Management
- Impact College of Engineering and Applied Sciences