5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Electronics Engineering is the study and application of nonlinear and active electrical components to build electronic circuits, integrated circuits, devices, and their systems. It is a branch of electrical engineering and a form of engineering involving circuits, devices, and equipment systems. In Electronics Engineering, people design, make, run, and service the things they use daily. Those wishing to pursue a B.Tech degree in Electronics Engineering can expect to find exciting and challenging jobs.
Most electronic engineering projects require creativity and are fascinating. Several job profiles are available in this field depending on the candidate's profile and interest, such as Professor, Electronics and Communications Consultant, and Senior Sales Manager. So, if you want to become an electrical engineer, you can pursue a B.Tech degree in this field. A B.Tech degree curriculum will teach you the engineering skills essential to becoming an electrical engineer.
Keep reading to learn more about the electronic engineering meaning, various electronics and engineering courses, syllabi, careers and jobs.
Why Pursue Electronic Engineering?
- Since electronics engineering encompasses various fields under one umbrella, it can be a gratifying career choice.
- In addition, one can switch from one subdomain to another, ensuring a fulfilling career.
- Both public and private sectors provide students with the opportunity to acquire knowledge and experience.
- Undergraduate students will also have the opportunity to gain exposure to various industries through this course.
- The syllabus of this course helps students obtain placement in reputable firms in the rapidly expanding telecommunications industry.
- Electronics and communications engineers will work in the media and entertainment sectors.
Electronic Engineering Courses
In basic electronics engineering courses, students learn the manufacturing process of electronic devices, their function, repair, etc. BE or B.Tech course, BSc, and ME or M.Tech admissions are available under electronics engineering. Admission to these courses requires candidates to meet the eligibility criteria. Many top leading universities or institutions across the country offer these courses.
For BSc, B.Tech or BE Electronics Engineering:
- The candidate must have passed Class 12 from a recognized board or institution.
- The student should have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their main subjects.
- The minimum aggregate mark should be 50% (varies from institute to institute).
For ME or M.Tech in Electronics Engineering:
- A bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering or equivalent is required.
- Applicants should have passed each semester without a backlog.
- The applicant must have scored at least 50% in the aggregate (institutions may vary).
Electronic Engineering – Entrance Exams
An entrance examination determines a candidate's eligibility for admission to electronics engineering. Candidates are admitted based on their entrance examination results.
Listed below are the top engineering entrance exams in the country.
- JEE Main: JEE Main is a national-level entrance examination for admission to UG engineering courses.
- JEE Advanced: This is an advanced-level entrance examination conducted on a national level for admission to undergraduate engineering courses in IITs and other top engineering colleges. You need to qualify for JEE Main and make the cut-off mark for JEE Advanced.
- KCET: Karnataka Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to UG engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Karnataka.
- AP EAMCET: Engineering Agricultural and Medical Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to UG-level engineering and medical courses in colleges and universities based in Andhra Pradesh.
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test is a university-level entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in BITS Pilani and other institutions.
- VITEEE: Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Examination is a university-level entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in VIT or Vellore Institute of Technology.
- SRMJEEE: SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Examination is a university-level online-based entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in Sri Ramaswami Memorial University.
- KEAM: Kerala Engineering Agricultural Medical Entrance Exam is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering and management courses in colleges and universities based in Kerala.
- MHTCET: Maharashtra Health and Technical Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering and medical courses in colleges and universities based in Maharashtra.
- WBJEE: West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in colleges and universities based in West Bengal.
- GUJCET: Gujarat Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering and pharmacy courses in colleges and universities based in Gujarat.
Below are the entrance exams for M.Tech or ME in Electronics Engineering.
- GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national-level entrance examination for admission to PG-level engineering courses in India’s top colleges and universities.
- GPAT: Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test is a national-level entrance examination for admission into M.Pharm programs.
- AP PGECET: Andhra Pradesh Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to PG-level engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Andhra Pradesh.
- TANCET: Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Andhra Pradesh
- TS PGECET: Telangana State Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to PG-level engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Telangana.
- OJEE: Odisha Joint Entrance Examination is a state-level entrance examination for admission to engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Odisha.
- Karnataka PGCET: Karnataka Post-Graduate Common Entrance Test is a state-level entrance examination for admission to PG-level engineering courses in colleges and universities based in Karnataka.
- WBUT PGET: West Bengal University of Technology Post Graduate Entrance Examination is a state-level entrance examination for admission to PG-level engineering courses in colleges and universities based in West Bengal.
Electronic Engineering Syllabus
Listed below are the engineering electronics syllabus. This may vary depending on the university or institute.
First Year Syllabus
Second Year Syllabus
Third Year Syllabus
Fourth Year Syllabus
Electronic Engineering – Elective Subjects
Listed below are some of the electives of electronics engineering.
- Digital Signal Processing
- Transistor Circuit Techniques
- Microelectronic Circuits
- Digital Electronics
- Electronic and Radio Engineering
- Laser Technology
- Statistical Signal Analysis
- VLSI Technology
- Sensors and Transducers
- Neural Networks and Applications
Electronic Engineering – Career and Job Opportunities
The B.Tech Electronics Engineering field is snowballing and is expected to expand much faster. Globally, electronic devices are becoming increasingly crucial as digitisation accelerates. Electronics engineering skills are in high demand in the job market, so students who complete this course are hired quickly. B.Tech Electronics Engineers can work in various industries as electricians, electronics engineers, etc.
This engineering branch focuses on electronic circuits, devices and equipment, and electronic systems.
After completing the B.Tech Electronics Engineering course, students may apply for the following jobs:
- Electronics Installer,
- Sales Engineer,
Engineers with experience are designated as follows:
- Engineering Manager
- Aerospace Engineer
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Biomedical Engineer
Electronic Engineering – Salary Packages
There is a salary range of ₹4 - 6 lakh per annum for Electronics Engineers. Depending on the company and field of work, electronics engineers earn different wages. In addition to credentials, job skills, location, recruiters, etc., several factors influence an electronics engineer's salary. In this field, it is easy to earn attractive salary packages once you have gained enough experience.
Average Annual Salary
₹4 - 6 LPA
₹6 - 8 LPA
Electronic Engineering – Top Recruiters
Listed below are some of the top companies recruiting electronics engineers.
- Bajaj Electricals
- ABB India
Pursue electronic engineering courses from any of India’s top leading institutes powered-by Sunstone. Sunstone is a leading education service provider in India. If you enrol in a college that is powered by Sunstone, you will get access to various upskilling programmes and placement support with guaranteed interviews.
FAQ - Electronics Engineering
What is electronics engineering?
Electronics Engineering definition is the application of electrical components, such as semiconductors, diodes, transistors, and many others, to design electronic circuits, devices, integrated circuits, and electronic systems.
Is electronic engineering good?
Yes, electronic engineering is good, as it comes with various opportunities and challenges.
What does an electronic engineer do?
As an electronic engineer, you design and develop electronic equipment, including communication and broadcasting systems, such as portable music players and global positioning systems (GPS).