5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) determines acceptance to many post-graduate programmes, such as Master of Engineering, Master of Technology, Master of Architecture, and Doctor of Philosophy, at Indian higher education institutes. The GATE application date for applicants fell between August 30 and October 7, 2022.
The Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology in Delhi, Roorkee, Kanpur, Chennai (Madras), Guwahati, Kharagpur, and Mumbai jointly administer the GATE exam, but the conducting authority is NTA (National Testing Authority).
The last date for GATE 2023 registration with a late fee was October 16, 2022. After that, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur closed the GATE 2023 registration window on October 16.
(Read about the difference between BTech vs B.E)
GATE 2023 Registration Date: How To Apply
The GATE exam registration began on August 30, 2022. It is an entirely online process. The online registration/application process was open until 7th October (without a late fee). Candidates may also apply during the extension period (16th October) by paying a late fee.
To fill out the GATE registration form 2023, follow the step-by-step procedure below:
- Go to the GATE Online Application Process website (GOAPS).
- Fill out the registration form with your name, country of residence, email address, and phone number. Enrollment ID and password and GATE exam form will be generated after registration.
- Log in to the online portal using these credentials and complete the application process.
- Fill in all of your personal and academic information, as well as your preferred GATE papers and three exam locations. (Make sure the chosen exam centres are in the same zone.)
- Now, in the predefined format, upload scanned copies of your passport-size photograph, signature, and category certificate (if applicable).
- The final step is to pay the GATE 2023 registration fees. The application fee must be paid online, either with a credit card, a debit card or through net banking.
Details Required in the GATE Registration Form 2023
- Personal Information: Students must enter information such as the individual name, father's and mother's names, date of birth, nativity, etc.
- Academic Information: Here, students must specify the information about academic qualifications from 12th grade to graduation.
- Communication Details: Students must fill out the correspondence and permanent address accurately.
- GATE Paper: Choose the GATE paper that appears according to your specialisation or desired course. The authority does not permit changes to the GATE exam paper after the form has been submitted.
- GATE Examination Center: Choose three exam cities from the provided list. The first two centres must be from the same GATE 2023 regional zone, while the third can be from any GATE 2023 regional zone.
- Photo Identification: Students must enter the photo identity number and the type of identification in this registration section.
It is important to note that you must verify your mobile number or email ID to pay the GATE 2023 registration fees. The authority verifies the registration by sending an OTP (One-Time Password) to your email address and mobile phone number.
Structure of GATE Exam Fees
Category of Applicants
Male (General and OBC)
Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) / Person with Disabilities (PwD)
Guidelines for Document Upload
Photograph in Passport Size:
- Upload a coloured passport photo taken with a white or very light background.
- The photo should not have been taken before August 1, 2022, with the candidates' faces occupying 50% of the space in the photograph.
- The face should be visible and directly facing the camera. Only clear glasses will be permitted for students with vision problems.
- The photograph should be in JPEG format, 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm in size, with a pixel resolution of 480 x 640 and a minimum pixel resolution of 240 x 320.
- The signature must be in capital letters in a 2 cm x 7 cm rectangular box on A4 white paper.
- The signature should be done in running handwriting with black or dark blue ink and scanned and cropped to the specified dimensions.
- The maximum resolution of the signature must be 160 x 560 pixels, with a minimum resolution of 80 x 280 pixels.
- Category (SC/ST) certificate (if applicable) scanned in PDF format
- Scanned Eligibility Certificate in PDF format (Degree Certificate, Provisional Certificate, or Certificate from the Department/Institute Head)
- Dyslexic certificate (if applicable) scanned in PDF format
- PwD Certificate (if applicable) scanned in PDF format
Application Correction Window: GATE Exam Registration for 2023
If a candidate makes a mistake while filling out the details or uploading the required documents, he or she will be allowed to make changes to submitted information during the correction window. To correct or rectify this, candidates should log in to GOAPS with their credentials.
The correction window will be available in the following order:
- Any changes to a student's name, date of birth, parent or guardian information, correspondence address, college name and location, roll number, or registration number must be made by November 11, 2022.
- Changes in category, gender, PwD status, Dyslexia or other similar learning disabilities status, exam paper selection, and exam city are permitted until the same date.
How to Recover Forgotten Login Details?
Candidates must keep their credentials safe for future admission processes. If you misplaced your GATE 2023 Enrolment or Registration ID, take the following steps:
- Navigate to the GATE Online Application Process (GOAPS) page.
- Select the option that says ‘Forgot GATE 2023 Enrolment or Registration ID’.
- If you remember your email address but not your Enrolment ID or Registration ID, click the Request an OTP option to obtain a One-Time Password.
- If you already have an OTP, click on Already have an OTP? to reset your password.
Note: In the event of a discrepancy while filling out the GATE exam form, candidates may contact the authorities at 022-2576 7068, 022-2572 4054.
How to Check the Status of Your GATE 2023 Registration?
To check the status of their application, candidates must use their login credentials to access the GATE 2023 registration link. Candidates should not be concerned if their GATE application status is 'Under Scrutiny/Under Process.
All GATE registration forms 2023 are scrutinised by the responsible authorities. And candidates whose applications need to be corrected in photograph/signature/supporting document will receive an automatic email or SMS.
If you are an engineering aspirant, you can apply for GATE 2023, and we suggest you go through some BTech exam tips before applying. You can also check out Sunstone, a leading education service provider extending its benefits in more than 50 college campuses in 30+ cities in India. Many of these colleges offer B.Tech degrees in different fields of engineering.
Students who register with Sunstone get access to industry-aligned training modules, which help you improve your soft skills for better placement opportunities.