5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
MBA in Sales is a highly sought-after postgraduate management degree with a duration of two years. It has been a popular postgraduate management degree since its beginning in India, however, it has become even more relevant in recent times. With increasing competition in every sector, sales have become the most important department of organisations for their survival.
The key learning in MBA in sales management is finding and targeting the right market segment for products and better understanding of consumer behaviour. From the survival phase to the growth phase, every company needs skilled people who know how to grow sales numbers through campaigns.
In this article, we are going to cover everything you should know about MBA in sales, from who should do MBA sales to the admission process.
What is MBA in Sales?
Master's in Business Administration or MBA is a two-year-long master’s degree that can be done after getting a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognised college or institute. MBA in sales is a specialised MBA course that focuses on managing the sales and marketing of organisations.
Here is a list of key facts one should know to better understand what is MBA in sales:
- MBA in sales includes paid advertisements, media, sales, and entertainment plus working with growth numbers of organisations.
- Students who are interested in pursuing MBA in sales can apply for admission through both online and offline modes.
- The common procedure for entrance in this course includes an entrance exam, personal interview, and group discussions.
- After placement, a working professional can earn up to INR 8 lakh in India. After gaining experience, the salary can go up to INR 12 lakh or more per annum.
MBA in Sales Course Details
|Course Name||MBA In Sales|
|Course Type||Post-graduation/Master Degree|
|Course Duration||Min. 2 years|
|Course Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Top Recruiters||BYJU’S, Zomato, Amazon, Oyo, Flipkart|
|Jobs||Retail Sales Associate, Sales Manager, Area Sales Manager, Senior Sales Executive, etc.|
|Salary||INR 6,00,000 to 8,00,000|
Why MBA in Sales?
Here is a list of some reasons why MBA sales can be the right course for you:
- With a degree in MBA sales and marketing, you will be able to drive the growth of any business. You will learn how to communicate the usability of your product or organisation to the customer.
- Candidates can find jobs in literally all sectors like retail, media, tourism consultancy, banking, advertising, etc. after completing the MBA sales and marketing course.
- The course will enable you to manage the cash flow of businesses. Along with that, you will also get to learn how to make financial projections for various types of businesses.
- This course increases candidate’s knowledge through both practical and theoretical frameworks of sales and marketing.
- Students can continue their studies in sales and do further research study like Ph.D. in sales.
- MBA in sales and market lets you know the current trends of the markets as you are directly exposed to customers’ changing needs as a sales executive or sales manager.
Who should do an MBA in Sales?
MBA in sales is the right course for you if:
- You have a natural knack for selling and marketing products
- You like fieldwork instead of desk jobs
- You want to increase your knowledge of the market and how to run a business by getting direct exposure to the customer
- You want to learn how to communicate the story of products to consumers
MBA in Sales: Admission Process
The admission process for MBA in sales and marketing includes the following:
- Students can apply through online and offline mode - according to their convenience.
- The applicants are required to submit documents like proof of address, 10th mark sheet, 12th mark sheet, bachelor degree mark sheet, certificates, Voter Id card, or driver’s license.
- Applicants must have secured at least 50 percent in their bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
- Generally, admission is done on the basis of clearing entrance tests, one on one interviews, and group discussions.
MBA in Sales: Eligibility Criteria
To get admission to the course, the applicant must have the following:
- Minimum 50 percent in the under-graduate course
- The graduation course must be completed from a recognised college or institute
- Minimum 45 percent in the under-graduate course for the reserved categories
MBA in Sales Entrance Exams
A candidate gets more than one opportunity to get admission in MBA in sales as there are many entrance exams conducted at various levels. Here is a list of the most famous entrance exams for entrance in MBA in sales and marketing:
- CAT (Common Admission Test): One of the most sought-after entrance exams by the candidates is the CAT. It is necessary to clear CAT to get admission into India’s various top management institutes like the IIMs. If you have secured the necessary marks in your undergraduate level degree, you can sit for CAT. The admission is usually done through the GD-PI.
- XAT (Xavier Admission Test): The XAT is a national-level exam that is conducted by the Xavier School of Management or XLRI. This test is one of the oldest MBA entrance tests conducted for choosing candidates in various programmes offered by XLRI. The admission process is the same as that of CAT - top-ranking candidates will get selected for their chosen branches.
- SNAP (Symbiosis National Aptitude Test): SNAP is an MBA-level entrance exam conducted by Symbiosis University for its various top MBA programmes. This test is conducted every year where the candidates have to first clear the exam and then attend personal interviews and group discussions to finally take admission in their chosen branches of MBA.
- IIFT (Indian Institute of Foreign Trade): Counted amongst India’s top management colleges, IIFT is a government autonomous college located in the national capital. It conducts an entrance exam every year to select some of the top minds of the country for the MBA course.
- NMAT: NMAT is another well-known entrance exam for MBA programmes conducted by GMAC. The candidates who successfully clear the cutoff for admission can get admission to the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies or NMIMS.
Types of MBA Sales Courses
There are mainly two types of MBA sales courses that you can do from recognised colleges, institutes, and universities in India. Down below, you can find more info about these two types of MBA courses:
- Full-Time MBA Courses: Right now, full-time MBA courses are the most popular choice of candidates. To get admission into a full-time MBA programme, you must have completed an undergraduate course. After the completion of the course, you will get a postgraduate degree in management.
- Online Courses: In the past few years, candidates have started to recognise the value of online learning, and hence a considerable number is turning to online MBA courses every year. The options of colleges and universities for online courses in MBA is relatively lesser than that of full-time MBA courses. Here is a list of some recognised online MBA course providers in India:
|Course Name||Course Provider||Average Fees For The Course|
|Certificate course in Sales and Marketing||Udemy||NA|
|Sales and Marketing courses||NMIMS||INR 1.2 lakh|
|MBA in Sales and Marketing||Amity Online, Noida||INR 3.13 lakh|
|PG Degree in Sales and Marketing||upGrad, Mumbai||INR 4 lakh|
MBA in Sales Syllabus
The MBA course is divided into 5 trimesters across the time period of 2 years. The syllabus for the first three trimesters is common for everyone whether the candidate is doing MBA in HR, Digital Marketing, or Sales & Management. The specialised syllabus for sales and marketing is taught in the last trimesters.
Here is a list of the five trimesters with syllabus:
- Business Communication For Managers
- Technology In Management
- Marketing Management
- Organisational Behaviour I
- Managerial Economics
- Business Accounting I
- Business Mathematics
- Managerial Communication
- Analytical Tools For Managers I
- Brand Management
- Organisation Behaviour II
- Corporate Finance
- Business Accounting II
- Market Research
- Business Statistics
- Professional Communication
- Analytical Tools For Managers Ii
- Sales Management
- Human Resource Management
- Change Management
- Working Capital Management
- Business Problem Solving
- Operations Management
- Summer Internship Project
- Sales Management
- Sales Processes
- Digital Business Models
- Sales And Distribution Management
- Brand Management
- Sales Systems
- Managerial Skills For Sales
- Digital Marketing
- Business Law
Required Skills for MBA in Sales
The following skills will help you complete your MBA course and advance your career in the sales and marketing department:
- Impeccable Communication Skills: This is the most important skill required for working in sales for any job profile. One needs to communicate the benefits of products, negotiate, and close deals with customers and clients frequently.
- Aptitude For Planning: To meet the final goals (yearly, quarterly, etc.) of your organisation, you will need to make future planning for executive functions. Though taking quick decisions is important in sales, planning for the future is also an important part of it.
- Public Speaking Skills: From one on one conversations to delivering a speech to a large group, your job profile might need you to do a lot of speaking work. For this, you must develop public speaking skills.
Colleges for MBA in Sales
Down below is the list of top MBA colleges and institutes in India:
- NIU, GREATER NOIDA
- NIET, GREATER NOIDA
- PISM, BANGALORE
- RAYAT-BAHRA, MOHALI
- JECRC UNIVERSITY, JAIPUR
- RR INSTITUTIONS, BANGALORE
- SAGE UNIVERSITY, INDORE
- GD GOENKA, GURUGRAM
- ADITYA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, PUNE
- IBMR, HUBLI
- NETAJI SUBHAS UNIVERSITY, JAMSHEDPUR
Jobs after MBA in Sales
Now, let's talk about the MBA in sales and marketing scope. After completing MBA, you can join India’s top companies for the following job profiles:
- Senior Sales Executive
- Sales Specialist
- Retail Sales Associate
- Area Sales Manager
- Frontline Executive
- Sales and Marketing Manager
MBA in Sales Salary in India
Once you complete an MBA in sales and marketing, you can join the sales and management department of India’s top companies. The salary you would get will depend on your position in the organisation. Down below, you can find the salary bracket for various sales positions:
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Senior Sales Executive||Up to INR 5 lakh|
|Sales Specialist||Up to INR 13 lakh|
|Retail Sales Associate||Up to INR 2 lakh|
|Area Sales Manager||Up to INR 11 lakh|
|Frontline Executive||Up to INR 9 lakh|
|Sales and Marketing Manager||Up to INR 5 lakh|
Top Recruiters for MBA in Sales
Here is a list of the top recruiters for candidates of MBA in sales
- Assimilate Solutions
- Reliance Retail
- HDFC Life
- Jaro Education
FAQs on MBA in Sales
What does an MBA in Sales do?
What is the salary of an MBA in Sales graduate?
What is the scope of an MBA in Sales?
What is the eligibility criteria for an MBA in Sales?
How can I get admission for MBA in Sales?
What is the Course Duration of an MBA in Sales?
What are the top career opportunities after an MBA in Sales?
Senior Sales Executive
Retail Sales Associate
Area Sales Manager
Sales and Marketing Manager
What are the different types of MBA in Sales courses one can apply for?
What are the main entrance exams one can go for to get admission to an MBA in Sales programme?