5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Scholarships are essential after the 12th for several reasons. As we know, higher education can be quite expensive, and scholarships provide financial assistance to students who might not otherwise be able to afford it. Other than that it also helps students achieve their academic and career goals by providing them with the necessary resources and opportunities to succeed.
To get the benefits of these scholarship schemes, one has to appear for the scholarship tests. For example, if you wish to pursue a BBA Program and have an admirable academic record but cannot afford financial aid then you can apply for scholarships offered by various institutions.
In this blog, you will get to know about the types of scholarships, how to apply for them and how to get the maximum benefit out of them.
What are the types of scholarships you can apply for?
Scholarships can be of several types depending on your merit and needs. Here are some of the common types of scholarships offered to students at various levels-
- Merit-based scholarships are awarded based on academic performance, such as high GPAs or test scores.
- Need-based scholarships are awarded based on financial need, which is typically determined by the student's family income and assets.
- Talent-based scholarships are awarded based on a student's specific talent or skill, such as music, sports, or art.
- Demographic-based scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students who belong to specific demographic groups, such as women, minorities, or first-generation college students.
- Sports scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to students who are excellent in sports and have received state or national-level awards.
- Employer-sponsored scholarships are offered by employers to their employees or their employees' children.
Where to find scholarships?
Many colleges and universities offer scholarships to their students. You can check their websites or contact the financial aid office to learn more about available scholarships. For Example, if you pursue your degree from colleges powered by Sunstone, you can easily call their career counsellors who will guide you through.
Many scholarship providers promote their opportunities on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Follow relevant scholarship providers and organisations to stay up-to-date on available opportunities.
What factors to consider when choosing scholarships to apply for?
When choosing scholarships to apply for, it's important to consider several factors to maximize your chances of receiving an award. Here are some factors to consider:
- Eligibility requirements
- Scholarship amount to check whether the scholarship covers your complete expense or only a portion of them.
- Scholarship deadlines
- Number of applicants
- Scholarship provider reputation
- Requirements for scholarship renewal
- The scholarship requirements include writing an essay, submitting a portfolio, or participating in an interview.
Some of the government scholarships offered to students after their 12th are listed below-
- MHRD) UGC Scholarship for Rank holders -Class 12 Meritorious Students
- WRO India - World Robot Olympiad 2016
- MOMA Scholarship 2016- Merit Cum Means Scholarships 2016
- MOMA Scholarship 2016 Post matric Scholarship scheme
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme
- AICTE JK Scholarship - PMSS for J&K students 2016
- SBI Youth for India Fellowship Programme 2016
- Saltire Scholarships
- Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat Contest 2015
- Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means Scholarship 2015 West Bengal
Scholarships for Girls:
- AICTE Scholarship to girl child-Single girl child pursuing UG/PG/Diploma
- Maulana Azad National Scholarship -for Minority Community Girls
- CBSE Single Girl Child Scholarship - for Class 10 passed ONLY SINGLE GIRL CHILD of their parents
- Udaan- A Program To Give Wings To Girl Students by CBSE for IIT JEE Preparation
- Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship (Only for West Bengal Students)
- Google Anita Borg Scholarship -Females pursuing UG/PG Courses
How to apply for the selected scholarship?
Once you have identified the scholarship(s) you would like to apply for, you can follow these general steps to complete your application:
- Review the eligibility requirements
- Gather required documents
- Complete the application
- Submit the application
- Follow up with the scholarship provider to confirm that they have received your application and to ask about the timeline for award notifications.
- Wait for the decision
It's important to apply to as many scholarships as possible for which you meet the eligibility requirements. Don't be discouraged if you don't receive a scholarship right away, as there are many scholarship opportunities available. Keep applying and continue to work hard to achieve your academic and personal goals.
What Interview questions are asked after you are selected for the scholarship?
Interview questions for scholarship recipients can vary widely, depending on the scholarship provider and the specific scholarship program.
Check out some of the common questions asked at the interview-
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your background?
- What inspired you to apply for this scholarship?
- What are your career goals, and how do you plan to achieve them?
- How do you plan to use the scholarship funds to support your education and career aspirations?
- What do you consider to be your greatest academic or personal achievement so far, and why?
It's important to prepare for your scholarship interview by researching the scholarship provider, reviewing your application materials, and practising your responses to common interview questions.
By presenting yourself in a positive and professional manner, you can increase your chances of receiving the scholarship award.
Following Up on Scholarship Applications
How to check the status of your scholarship application?
To check your status you can visit the official website of the university or college you have applied in. Many scholarship providers will have an online portal or system where you can log in and check the status of your application. Look for an email or notification from the scholarship provider that provides login information or instructions on how to check your application status.
Keep in mind that scholarship providers often receive a large number of applications and may take some time to review them all. Be patient and wait for a response, and continue to apply for other scholarships in the meantime.
How can Sunstone help you in getting academic scholarships?
Sunstone is a reputed educational service provider that collaborates with institutions and universities to help students gain the best-in-class education as well as better placement opportunities.
If you are a meritorious student who wants to pursue your higher education with financial aid, Sunstone is the perfect organisation for you. Here you can get scholarships up to 10 Crores rupees with other academic benefits.